Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Countdown week 7 ~ Determination: VWU

It has been a rough week for Elder Vester, but with fasting and many prayers I think he will make it!

*****************************************
So, this week has been very long. Today was not much of a p-day, either. But, that's mission life.
This last week has been a real test for me.
I'm not sure how many my parents have told, but I'll come out and say it.
The surgery I had in January has failed, and I now need to have another, much more intense surgery to correct my veracose seal.
I've been in a lot of pain for the last 3 weeks.
Last Monday, I was about ready to throw in the towel. I told myself that if I would not be able to work the way I need to, that I would come home.
And much to my surprise, I was able to work this week.
On top of that, Heavenly Father reminded me of some things.
So, lets back up a bit.
About 2 months ago, when the branch was re-organized, the Sunday school president was called to be the new branch president. And the lot fell to me to teach until further notice.
(He did give me a break. they called a woman to be a teacher this week, but she is only able to come every other Sunday. So, I still get to teach the youth often. haha.)
This last Sunday, in "Come Follow Me", the lesson was on the importance of journal keeping.
Well, I just so happen to bring the journal that had about the last 5 months of Brasil in it.
Now, even though I have managed to move on from the negative experiences I had there, I never went back to look at it. So, I sat there on the couch with the scriptures in one hand, and the journal in the other.
And as I read, I could not help but laugh! I remember going through some really hard trials, and writing them down, and now looking back, I  find so much humor in them.
And I realized just how great the mission has been for me, and just how much fun I have had.
And, I would never admit this normally, but, as I was preparing, my scriptures fell to the ground.
When I went to pick them up, they were open to Alma 26:27. it jumped out from the page, and it solidified everything for me. 
"Now when our hearts were depressed, and we were about to turn back, behold, the Lord comforted us, and said: Go amongst thy brethren, the Lamanites, and bear with patience thine afflictions, and I will give unto you success."
That was it for me.
I knew what I needed to do. There was no turning back for me.
Heavenly Father not only softened my heart, but helped me to see the joy in the work that I had been missing for a long time.
The joy that comes from sharing the Gospel.
Now, with this, I made the decision to stay. No matter the physical cost. The damage was already done in Brasil, and I have nothing to lose from staying here, and only blessings to gain.
And this was confirmed by an experience I had Sunday morning.
My 2 main investigators, Tim and Joanne are trying to overcome smoking, and I was being a helicopter missionary. On Thursday, we gave her a blessing, and we left it to the Lord.
On Sunday morning, she gave me a call, telling me she would not be able to make it to church because she was on her way to the hospital to get shots in her head for her migraines. But, she told me that she had not smoked in 4 days.
I was so over joyed that I started to cry.
And so, God has not only told me to stay, but to keep working, and be happy, because I would be blessed, and would bring blessings to others.
So, yes. It'll be a long last transfer. But I have people I need to bring closer to Christ. I did not come back out on the mission to finish early.
So, to all of you who have been praying for me, and fasting for me, and making all kinds of sacrifices for me, 
Thank you.
I have felt your spirit, and your love, and it has been instrumental in helping me stay strong.
I love you all, so very very much, and I will see you soon.
When September ends.
Take care, and lets hope I stay in Republic with Elder Naranjo! Because as of yet, President does not know of my condition, and should I get transferred, the cat might be let out of the bag. Haha.
I'll talk to you all next week!
Love you all.
Elder Vester

So, today I said goodbye to one of my favorite elders in this mission, Elder Romero. But! he lives in Snowflake! So, I'll see him soon

And check this out! My companion has been working on this all transfer for me. It's a fancy wooden sword called a "Bokken".

AND IT MAKES ME LOOK LIKE A JEDI IN THIS PHOTO. YES.

No comments:

Post a Comment